Friday, June 23, 2017

Crockpot Dr. Pepper Ribs

My fiance, Logan, absolutely loves ribs. Pork, beef doesn't matter...ribs are one of his favorite restaurant foods and yesterday, I made them a new staple in our home. It was my first time making ribs. Kind of terrifying because I was under a lot of pressure 😄. I searched the internet for months for the perfect recipe. I ended up taking elements from a few different ones and putting my own spin on it too. They turned out great!! Even my parents approved and my mom's approval is always nice because I hope to emulate her in my cooking. She is a fantastic cook after years of working in restaurants and cooking for her family at home 💛.

So without further adieu. My Crockpot Dr. Pepper Ribs


Ingredients:
One package of pork spare ribs (mine made about 3 racks)
4 tsp minced onion
3 tsp paprika
salt and pepper based on preference
About 2 cups Dr. Pepper
Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce for dipping and glaze

Instructions:
Your going to start prep the evening before you start cooking. Look at your crockpot and decide where you are going to make cuts into your ribs to fit them into the pot. Then get out a sheet pan and lay out the ribs, make your cuts and then season and rub the minced onion, paprika, salt and pepper into both sides of the ribs, patting it into the meat. Put plastic wrap over the sheet pan and ribs and then into the refrigerator overnight. The ribs will take between 7 and 8 hours to cook. In mid-morning, based on the time you'd like them to be done, put the ribs into the crockpot on low and pour in the Dr. Pepper until it is almost full to the top. If some of the meat peaks out the top of the soda, that is fine.

The meat is done once you can poke it a bit and it wants to fall off the bone. That is the key. Fall off the bone meat. Once that stage is reached, use tongs to pull it out and return it to the baking sheet to glaze in the oven. Use silicone brush to glaze with the Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, or a sauce your family likes, or homemade. Be generous! Really slather it on. Then put into oven for about 15 to 20 minutes on broil (abt. 500 degrees if oven asks for temp). About half way through broiling, slightly pull out rack and layer on more BBQ sauce. Be careful not to burn it. Pay attention for the shine of the glaze and just a little darkening of it. Remove from oven and let meat rest for about 10 minutes. For sides, we had mashed potatoes and green beans and my Plum Tart. Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment